This Chocolate & Hazelnut Gelato is just the ticket for cooling down on hot summer days. Ok, let’s be honest.. it’s pretty much the perfect recipe for any occasion!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole (2% milk works fine)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons hazelnut praline paste
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (semisweet chocolate works too)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- Combine milk, cream, and hazelnut paste in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat until it starts to bubble.
- Add in the cocoa powder and chocolate. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until it’s pale yellow and thickened.
- Add a cup of the hot chocolate mixture that you just made to the eggs and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the eggs back into the saucepan with the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Reduce heat to low/medium-low. Whisking frequently, and cook until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cooled completely, stirring occasionally (at least two hours).
- Freeze the base in an ice cream machine until it has reached a custard consistency. After about 5 minutes add in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Transfer the gelato to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.